UNFCCC Seeks Legal Expert To Address Climate Change Legal Issues
Legal Officer at UNFCCC: Job Description and Requirements
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is seeking a Legal Officer who possesses an advanced degree in law with a specialization in international, administrative, or commercial law. The successful candidate will work in the Institutional and General Legal Services (IGL) subdivision within the Legal Affairs Division in Bonn, Germany.
The Legal Officer will be responsible for handling a wide range of legal issues related to constitutional, international, public, private, and administrative law. They will conduct legal research and analysis, prepare studies, briefs, reports, and correspondence, and provide general legal advice to other divisions of the UNFCCC secretariat. Other responsibilities include:
- Preparing legal opinions and advice on a range of international public and private law issues
- Preparing legal instruments, including memoranda of understanding and agreements
- Providing legal advice on human resources matters
- Providing guidance to junior staff
The UNFCCC is looking for a candidate who demonstrates accountability, effective communication skills, responsiveness to clients and partners, and the ability to work well with teams.
The UNFCCC requires candidates to have an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law with a specialization in international, administrative, or commercial law. Candidates with a first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may also be considered. Other qualifications include:
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research, and writing
- At least two years of experience in an international environment, preferably in a United Nations common system organization or other intergovernmental organization
- Experience providing direct legal advice to clients on operational matters and dealing with United Nations or other intergovernmental organization policies, procedures, and operations
- Proficiency in English (both oral and written). Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
Candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements for the Legal Officer position should use the online application system available on the UNFCCC website. Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise, followed by a competency-based interview. The indicative net annual salary for the position ranges from US$64,121 to US$71,906, plus variable post-adjustment and other UN benefits.